Everyone who has attended a journalism event in Spain or who has followed the development of new journalism forms in Spain will know about the role of Pau Llop and his partners. First in Bottup, the first citizen journalism website in spanish, launched in 2007. And then also in Nxtmedia, the project where they apply the experience and know how acquired through Bottup to other projects. Through both brands they make a persistent defense of the non for profit model for journalism.
Which was the biggest obstacle you have found with your projects?
Working and trying to maintain a non for profit project without investments or subsidies of any kind in almost 4 years of activity. Right now our main concern is to get the entities with means to invest in technology and knowledge to meet with us and listen to our proposal for the near future. Though we will still be non for profit, it’ll not be loss-making. We think it’s a very innovative proposal and has a medium term capacity for self-subsistence.
What would you recommend to a journalist thinking about to become also an entrepeneur?
I’d say do it. No hurries, no stress, don’t think your idea is unique and can be stealed. Start with the basics, have a tight control of expenses and think twice about where you spend your money to avoid jeopardize your project’s future. And most of all, be open to collaboration with your peers: your project will not flourish in isolation or with a “fierce competition” attitude. Internet doesn’t work that way. Oh! And when thinking about building a team, try to make it well-balanced including a business and a technology specialist. And finally, lots of patience, faith, peace of mind, and a disposition to enjoy the walk. And good luck 🙂
- Start up costs: 3.323€ (318€ Bottup.com + 3.005€ Nxtmedia)
- Years of planning: 1 (Bottup.com)
- Years to profit: Bottup is a non for profit project. It usually doesn’t carry advertising, and when it does, it’s for free. Nxtmedia was able to recover the initial 3.000€ investment after 8 meses.
- Staff at launch: 3 journalists.
- Staff today: 3 journalists, 1 developer y 1 designer.
- Next steps: Modify our legal status to reflect better our non for profit approach in Nxtmedia. After that, draft a plan of technological development and economic sustainability. Open Bottup even more, transform it into a distributed and scalable tool (rather than a news site).